Nationwide Estate Planning Attorneys
Compassionate & Insightful Legal
Guardian Litigation Group, LLP takes great pride in providing a wide range of comprehensive legal services to help individuals, families, and business owners address their specific estate planning needs. Our detail-orientated and knowledgeable legal professionals can prepare all of the necessary documents and include enforceable provisions customized to meet your estate objectives and preserve your legacy for future generations.
Whether you need an attorney to help draft your last will or you need qualified advice for deciding which types of trusts will best protect your assets and minimize taxes, our knowledgeable estate planning lawyers can get all of your essential affairs in order so you can rest easy knowing you’re prepared for the future.
Are you looking to
organize your estate?
Learn More About Estate Planning
- Will drafting
- Will contests
- Trusts administration
- Trust litigation
- Document your last wishes and ensure they are respected and followed point-by-point
- Minimize probate, estate, gift, income, and business taxes
- Your loved ones can avoid the hassle of probate
- Quickly distribute assets to beneficiaries after you pass away
- Ensuring minor children or special needs loved ones are taken care of
In California, it is important to draft and properly execute a Last Will and Testament (a “Will”). A Will is your opportunity to designate how your assets will be distributed after your passing. If you die without a California Will, your possessions will be distributed according to California statutory law. These laws are generally called the laws of Intestate Succession. According to the California laws of intestate succession, generally speaking, your possessions will go to members of your family. The biggest risk is that you may not WANT some of your family to have your possessions. Further, the rules of intestate succession are very complicated once you get beyond immediate relatives.
There is no reason to leave matters complicated. It is much easier to have a Will prepared. Call us here at Guardian Litigation Group, LLP at (949) 569-9006. We are Irvine, California, Will and Estate Planning attorneys. Here is a brief — and simplified — explanation of California Rules of Intestate Succession.Plan your estate with Guardian Litigation Group, LLP. Contact us online or call (949) 569-9006!
That being said, most spouses have at least SOME separately owned properties. This property would include property owned separately before the marriage, gifts given solely to that spouse, and inheritances. Since the surviving spouse gets 100% of the jointly owned property, if there is no Will, then the separately owned property will be distributed according to the California laws of Intestate Succession.
The priority list is as follows:
- If there are surviving children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc., they are prioritized and receive 100% of the property; shares are proportioned in the same generation; thus, if two children, then each receives 50%; if one child has died, but had two children (that is, grandchildren), the two grandchildren share 50/50 the 50% of their parent, etc.
- If there are no children, then the possessions go to surviving parent or parents
- If no children or parents, then to surviving siblings
- If no surviving children, parents, or siblings, then “up” to grandparents and their issue (that is, cousins); if the grandparents are still alive, then they will receive their proportionate share of the possessions; if otherwise, the children of the grandparents will receive your possessions in proportionate share
As noted above, there is no reason for things to be this complicated. Get a Will prepared, and you can directly and clearly identify how you want your property distributed. You can distribute property to non-relatives (like your best friend) in your will.
Our Clients Share Their Experience
Guardian's track record is a testament to our clients' success. With a history of satisfied clients and glowing reviews, our commitment to excellence in estate planning and asset protection shines through. Join our community of financially secure individuals and safeguard your future with us.
The experience has been fantastic!
You do not have to figure this out by yourself; this team of professionals stands with you to find a path thru the complex web of finance & law towards a fair & honest solution!
- Dr. Steve R.
I thank Guardian Litigation for everything
They are helping me get my debt situation resolved..I thank Guardian Litigation for everything.
- Ardie J.
I'm very grateful for their support!
Guardian Litigation Group has an amazing staff that tirelessly pursued my debt settlements. They kept me posted on updates and quickly resolved every issue. I'm very grateful for their support. Thank ...